Block 3 , Week 5 and Block 4, Week 1

Haha so I have been struggling to keep up with this blog so I am exploring other ways how to do this so please bear with!

Monday (Last Week)

Last Monday of block 3. Sigh. Did not want this week to come but this block has flown by! The last block of the week is always a slow one with regards to new content but it is by no means any sort of rest (though I should have really given myself the weekend off at the end). We had our final anatomy and CBL cases of the block which has been nice this block as I have understood what is going on. I also have recognised I need to approach CBL in a new way as I have found that I do not pay attention f I am not chairing or scribing a case which isn’t really what should be happening. We also had a really cute girly evening in the flats where we just all crowded into one room and talked about everything and everything. It was really nice to actually see people outside the MTC and we have made it tradition to do every month 🙂

Tuesday (Last week)

We had our normal day in the hospital today of which I got really excited over a leg as I thought I had found a bite mark which could have been causing the redness on the leg of the patients ……. turns out it was just eczema…

Wednesday (last week)

I believe the offers have started coming out for the next year today and I have received a couple of messages from people I was giving advice too on the run-up to interviews! I got massive throwbacks to my offer last year so I was happy to see that my advice potentially helped someone!


We had a mock formative today which proved to be very good for my self-esteem as I did better than I thought. I really needed that pick me up as I had been feeling awful about myself for the past couple of weeks questioning why I ever got in in the first place.

It was also our flatmate Alex’s birthday that evening in which we kidnapped him (literally) to give him a birthday cake and a sodden birthday card due to an unfortunate leak in our hallway and the placement of the letterbox…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Friday (Last Week)

Final time with the neuro plastinates so I was trying to name as many structures as I physically could in prep for the neuroanatomy comp in a couple of weeks time.

Dr Gill was also running the Instagram account for Warwick today which resulted in a creepy voice first thing in the morning. I was walking up the stairs and heard something but thought it was someone else talking to someone else. I carried on up the stairs and heard it again so I looked round to try and find where this voice was coming from, again… no one there. I then heard a voice saying “up here” and Dr Gill was stood on top of the massive staircase watching us all get to lecture from above……. felt slightly under pressure to make sure I didn’t push the pull door as I went in.

Saturday (Last week)

Another early morning as there was a surgical symposium put on by the surgical soc at WMS. It was a good day except when one of my anatomy lecturers started quizzing the first years in the audience of which I had totally forgotten all the answers (this was in September in my defence) and I was straight in her eye line… Awkward.

We also got to see an anatomise table which I was excited about as they had them at UCLan (not that I ever got to see them). However, it turned out to be a “watch me” kind of demonstration so as interesting as it was….. people started to glaze over which was disappointing as it was an incredible piece of kit.

It was also nice to catch up with my medic mum for the day as I don’t get to see her much so we just had a laugh about everything and anything in the breaks.

Sunday (last week)

Anatomy day! There were very few members from our year there as I think most people had gone home for the weekend. It was a good (if tiring) day and I am starting to think the pizza at lunch is a huge reason as to why I go to these things:,D.

I also had a bit of a late night as I needed to go to the walk-in centre as surprise surprise I have developed yet another ear infection and I would rather not end up in the hospital this time:,D.

Monday (this week)

Decided to take the morning off as I needed it. Having a bath at half-past 9 in the morning felt a bit odd but I rather like starting the day that way! We had the start of block 4 and I immediately re-understood why people hated block three. I was lost in the 2nd lecture of the day and not even three and a half hours in the med school sorted out.

I also had a delightful 5 minutes of trying to wrestle a flapjack from the vending machine whilst my anatomy professor cheered from the sidelines ….. It wasn’t even a good flapjack.


If you have been following my Instagram you would have seen my post about this where I went onto the ward unsupervised for the first time! Not a huge thing but it felt amazing to feel independent as a student. I was really nervous so thankfully maariyha did most of the talking but we managed to get an awful lot just from the patient’s notes and we successfully took a history and did a cardiac and resp exam. We came off the ward on a bit of a high and I can’t wait to do it again 😀



Went round to my medic mum, dad and uncle’s in the evening with Emily and Emily to have an evening off medicine. It was a student seminar night and we had pizza (thank you guys!). It was nice just to have a laugh and muck around for an evening instead of working on the block and I now have a half-sister Jamie (Medic Dad) and Emily (Student Sem Teacher) adopted – introducing my new sibling, Emily!


Valentine’s day! Street doctors had organised a “secret valentines” sweet delivery in which you could send a message with some sweets to someone annomously. I didn’t send any or get any but it was hilarious to see them being chucked around the lecture theatre. Instead, I was running around making sure people had signed some cards I had bought for someone we all know that’s not feeling too well – I think it was mostly successful as we filled 4 cards completely with signatures! Spent the evening on a date with Greys Anatomy finishing my workbook before collapsing in bed.


Normal hospital day today except we have had one poor lecturer three times in a row so we were making jokes about what he had done to be punished for …. Poor Jeremy 😀

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s